Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jolly Fat Guy in a Big Red Suit

My family LOVES Christmas. Now that I can listen to christmas music you can bet it is on everytime I get in my car. We are enjoying seeing the beautiful christmas lights going up everywhere...and just as a note...a two year old doesn't see 'tacky' lights. All they see is the "LOOK MOMMY! PRETTY HOUSE!". I on the other hand do shudder at some of the decorations. It's getting cold here and you can find Christmas music and decor in almost any store. So my house is getting a little excited.

It's important to note that Christmas in my house is about celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. Sure, we have a tree and decorations and presents, but Jordan, and soon Alana and Zayne, know what we are celebrating. We have movies and books about the sweet baby Jesus being born and we watch and read them over and over again during this time of the year.

When Matt and I had Jordan we never discussed Santa Claus. I think we both just assumed that because we 'believed' in Santa as kids that we would do the whole Santa thing with our own kids. So we did. Until last year. A close friend of mine doesn't do santa with her kids and we discussed it some. I never really set out to make Christmas about a fake tradition but thats what had happened so when Jordan came to me and asked me if Santa was real...I wasn't going to lie and I told him no. There were no tears. It wasn't a big shock. He just said "So you and daddy get me the presents?" and to this I responded ABSOLUTELY! This didn't warp his little personality nor did it ruin his Christmas. We still made muffins together on Christmas eve and left them out with milk for mommy and daddy. And mommy and daddy enjoyed them while we were up till the wee hours of the morning putting out gifts. This year he will be making us chocolate chip cookies. We will also be making a birthday cake for Jesus! Jordan is excited about this!

Now, you can understand that this is a 5 year old we are talking about. He doesn't quite grasp the idea that you don't have to tell everyone you know everyTHING you know. I'm just waiting on the first mom to come pounding on my door red in the face and upset that their little Johnny's christmas was ruined because my terrible son told him that the jolly fat guy in a big red suit isn't real. Thankfully most of the kids that my son sees that I also see their parents don't believe in Santa either. I suppose we will just have to wait and see how this all plays out. As for our other kids or any future child...they will never get a gift from 'santa'...I know we're horrible but oh well. We have our own little special things for Christmas and they don't have to include the jolly fat guy in a big red suit. Who wants to give him all the credit for shopping and standing in lines and paying and wrapping or putting things together anyway?!?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about doing the same thing we have been doing santa claus since the kids were little but I am not sure how they would take being told he isn't real. We do read a book about baby Jesus every Christmas eve night right before bed. When I was little we always read it was the night before Christmas.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete