Tuesday, February 2, 2010

FANTASTIC mom

So. I am a good mom. No wait. I am a FANTASTIC mom. Seriously. I am. Are there days that I want to duct tape my children to the wall? Oh yeah. Yesterday was one of those days. I really am a good mom though.

What makes a good mom? Here's what makes me one....

I gave up my body for 9 months times 3 and I have nursed for a total of 21 months now. All in the last 6 years. So for 48(4 years) of the last 72 months(6 years) my body has not been my own. And to be perfectly clear...I have been either pregnant or nursing for the last 39 months STRAIGHT. So when I say I'm tired, I MEAN IT. I can't wait to have my body back to myself but I have at LEAST another 8 months to share if not more. And just as a side note....there is NOTHING I can do to fix this body on my own...it will take some EXTENSIVE plastic surgery especially above the waste.

There is NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING I wouldn't do for my children. You want to see someone go into survivor bear raving banshee mode? Mess with a momma's chap and see what happens. No scratch that. You better run because you won't want to stick around to see the ending.

I have the radar. I've had it for 6 years now. You know the one I'm talking about if you're a mother. Its the one that can hear EVERY. SINGLE. PEEP. all of your children make and can figure out which one it was and be by their side in 2 seconds flat. And that particular radar comes with the handy dandy feature of being able to sleep with one eye open and it gives you the ability to function on ZERO sleep and then wake up with a start when you DO get an hour of sleep.

I am committed to parenting...not committed to an institution BECAUSE of parenting. Somedays I might seem like I need to be. But I've made...this far anyway.

After cleaning poop out of carpet and throw up out of hair, crayon off walls and pen off couches. After saying 58472685 times to do this or stop that. After sleepless nights and napless days. After toys on every. single. inch. of my floors and laundry towering toward the heavens. I can say I love what I do.

And what makes me the terrific mom I am is this...I admit that the above is ok. I may not be screaming for joy about all of it every moment of every day...but I am okay with it. In fact, I wouldn't trade it for all of the free time, sleep, and stretch mark free skin in the world.

The awesome experience of love at first sight, the wonder of being able to experience the world through those beautiful bright eyes of my children, the joy of being able to put others before myself...there's nothing like it.


Todays Confession:

When I start to get tired, I remember that we'll only be here, in this moment, just once and some of our time and space has to be sacred and dedicated to the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment